Sunday, October 28, 2007

Rain, Wind, Sun

The Monday after the outdoor trip was like a brick in the face. During weekdays at the base breakfast is at 7:30. The "early morning" + shorter days + crazy dark stormy weather meant that we were waking up in the dark now. The night we got back from the outdoor trip was windy and rainy and it just stayed that way. On Thursday we heard that it was supposed to be sunny Friday. That sparked a conversation about that last time we saw the sun. The consensuses was that it had been 10-14 days. I thought back and I had only been outside three times since we got back and it totaled less than three minutes. Thursday night the wind and rain ceased and there was a full moon in a starlit sky. It was time for a walk and even the northern lights made an appearance. The next day everyone was ecstatic to see a sunrise in the clear sky.



















It was so hard for everyone to be in class with it being such a nice day. Class ended at lunch and you couldn't have kept people inside with a pack of rabid lemmings. It was like the last day of school in sixth grade. It was so nice to bask in the sun again. In Mexico and California it was so easy to take a sunny day for granted. People just deal with the weather here. When it rains in California people freak out and it is "Storm Watch" all over the news. It doesn't seem to phase people here. I met an old lady walking back from the store in the rain. The cold rainy day didn't seem to make any difference to her. She has lived here for 56 years and loves it. I was all hunkered down in my rain pants and parka and she was just wearing kind of normal clothes. Rain or shine if there is work to be done outside it gets done. Teaching last week was on relationships and next week is on Evangelism. I found out that I am on the team to Greenland. I am a little disappointed that I am not going to Tibet but there is a much better opportunity to really get to know the people in Greenland since we will be staying in the same town for almost the whole time. I am psyching myself up for eating blubber since they really love it there.
Sunrise 7:45 - Sunset 3:45

No comments: