Friday, August 31, 2007

One day left




The last night in Mexico we had a nice dinner in Roserito and then we went to the beach to have a bonfire. We brought all of the prayers that teams had written down over the last 8 weeks, read each one allowed and put it in the fire. We lit off some very loud fire crackers including some huge bottle rockets with very fast fuses. Leaving the base and saying goodbye was sad. I dropped my roommate off in Encenitis and went up to a friends house in Rancho Cucamonga. Three of my friends wanted to go on one last trip with me before I left for nine months. We went out to Utah for three days of hiking and canyoneering. We had some spectacular weather at the end of the trip with pouring rain, flash flood watches and lightning crashing down. So cool. I am up in Bakersfield right now packing and visiting with my sister and parents. Tomorrow morning I get up early, drive 2 and a half hours to LAX for a 8:55AM flight that stops in Chicago, then Stockholm before reaching Oslo (16.5 hours trip time from Lax to Oslo). I have 12 hours in Oslo before an 18 hour train trip to Bodo then a 3 hour van ride to the base in Nordtun. The next morning we take off for a 5 day backpack on a nearby glacier (weather permitting). Nothing like jumping in with both feet! The currency is the Norwegian Kroner and measurements and temperature are in metric. Norway time is 9 hours ahead of Pacific time.

No comments: